Custody For Grandparents, Stepparents & Same-Sex Couples

Grandparents, stepparents and same-sex couples often believe they have little to no rights in matters of child custody, and in some cases people give up before they can find out what rights they actually have.

As your family law attorney, I will take the time to educate you about your rights. I have the experience to know what steps can be taken. While you may not be able to obtain full parental rights, you may very well have more options than you think.

For a consultation to discuss your goals and concerns, contact my office in Abington. I advise and represent clients throughout Montgomery County, PA.

Safeguarding The Child's Best Interests

When it comes to determining parental rights, the real question is, "What are the best interests of the child?"

While traditionally the courts favor keeping families whole, that is not always reasonable. Grandparents who have raised grandchildren in the absence of parents may have the right to obtain custody. Stepparents may be able to adopt a child whom they've helped to raise. And same-sex couples may be able to adopt a child or otherwise establish parental rights.

I will listen to you and learn about your situation. You can be confident that I know the steps to take to help you resolve any issue.

Resolving Disputes Without A Fight

Many parental rights disputes are resolved through the court system. This involves fighting in front of a judge. It is an expensive, time-consuming and stressful process.

Luckily, a courtroom battle is not the only option. As an attorney, I take pride in providing alternative dispute resolution methods to the people I represent. I will take great care to show you all of your options and guide you down the path that makes the most sense for you.

A Lawyer. A Trusted Adviser. A Friend.

To discuss parental rights, contact the Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC in Abington, Pennsylvania.

I offer flexible office hours by appointment.