Property Division Attorney In Montgomery County, PA

Property division issues during divorce can cause a lot of stress and tension. I can help reduce your stress by taking the weight off your shoulders. As a family law attorney at the Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, I am not just your attorney. I am also your friend and trusted adviser.

With offices in Abington, I represent divorcing clients throughout Montgomery County, PA, including Jenkintown, Willow Grove, Rydal, Glenside and Wyncote.

Equitable Distribution Lawyer Serving The Abington Area

Pennsylvania is an equitable distribution state. Equitable distribution means that the court will consider a variety of factors to determine who should receive marital assets. The judge will use the following factors when dividing marital property:

  • Ability to earn income
  • Custodian of minor children
  • Health of both parties
  • Inheritance or trust income in the future
  • Amount of alimony award, if any
  • Length of marriage

Not all of the factors are weighed equally, but the judge has the discretion to evaluate the factors in determining how to divide your property.

I know from experience that the decisions made by judges in courtrooms are often unfavorable to both sides. These decisions may be far more difficult to deal with than decisions that are made collaboratively by both parties.

Avoiding A Courtroom Fight

While allowing the judge to decide the fate of the property division may benefit some, other alternatives are available. As a Montgomery County, PA, Certified Mediator and a member of the Pennsylvania Council on Mediation, I have seen firsthand the benefits of avoiding court. Mediation and collaborative law offer profound benefits, including saving time and expense, to families dealing with divorce and marital property issues.

I will help you find solutions that work for you and your family. My special training on alternative techniques allows me to help facilitate discussions between parties that are cooperative and productive.

A Lawyer. A Trusted Adviser. A Friend.

If you are involved in a marital property division dispute and would like to resolve your differences, contact the Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC.

I offer flexible office hours by appointment.