Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC
Call us today!
More Than Just
A Family Lawyer

Should One Attorney Represent Both Spouses in a Divorce?

I do get regular inquiries from clients regarding whether or not I can represent both spouses in a divorce. It is impossible to do this. You may think you have an amicable divorce but things can change and usually do. What happens when things change? Who does the attorney represent then?

Clients who have decided to divorce and have already reached an agreement with their spouse regarding division of assets and debts are interested in knowing the answer to this question. What I tell them is as follows: I can represent one of you (i.e. the spouse who has consulted with me) and your spouse can represent him or herself, which is known as pro se. The pro se spouse is always free to consult with an attorney to review any documents that I prepare, and is fully aware that I represent the other spouse. This works in cases where parties trust each other and are committed to staying out of court. It can save considerable attorney fees.

When you consult with an attorney regarding family law issues, be sure to ask what options there are for handling your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Info

Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC
1147 Easton Rd.
Abington, PA 19001

Toll Free: 866-779-6227
Phone: 610-298-1081
Fax: 215-572-1700
Map & Directions