Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC
Call us today!
More Than Just
A Family Lawyer

Support and Alimony: Can they be modified?

Actor Brendan Fraser has asked the court to modify the amount of alimony and child support that he is paying his ex-wife for herself and their three minor children. Brendan said that he can no longer afford the $900,000 per year because his work prospects have lessened and that he has medical issues.

Child support can be modifiable if the person paying support (the obligor) loses his job or is laid off through no fault of his own, or suffers an injury or illness that affects his ability to earn. In the state of PA, alimony (support for the spouse after the divorce is entered) is usually non-modifiable, unless both parties agree beforehand in writing that it can be modified for such things as illness, disability, remarriage, cohabitation or change in job status.

With so many people being laid off or having their hours reduced in the past few years because of the lagging economy, there has been an increase in requests to modify support. Although many of these requests are granted, they are not guaranteed. Just because a person says they cannot earn as much as they used to is not enough; they must prove it with documents and testimony. Speak with a knowledgeable family law attorney about your support and alimony concerns.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Info

Law Offices of Catherine Cardozo, LLC
1147 Easton Rd.
Abington, PA 19001

Toll Free: 866-779-6227
Phone: 610-298-1081
Fax: 215-572-1700
Map & Directions